Now offer Ramadan charity via SMS
Dubai: Muslims in Qatar can pay zakat (charity) by sending a short message from their mobile to a telecommunication provider.
The charity amount, USD 4.10 (15 Qatari riyals), is either added to the user`s bill or deducted from the call balance, and transferred to a special fund that will give it to the poor and the needy.
The service introduced in 2004 has been hugely popular and hundreds of thousands of Qatari Riyals are collected every year.
Muslims are required to give charity near the end of Ramadan, just before Eid Al Fitr, the feast that marks the end of fasting, in order to enable the needy to celebrate the joyous occasion.
Qatar`s state-run Zakat Fund last year allocated USD 1.043 million (3.81 million riyals) for its daily Iftar programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof