Now, Romney refuses to appear on kids’ channel
Washington: Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has turned down a request to appear on Nickelodeon’s election special, his campaign has announced.
The children’s channel launched the show, Kids Pick the President: The Candidates, in 1988, where the presidential candidates answer videotaped questions from children, and then viewers can vote for their choice of president in an online poll.
In five of the past six presidential elections, child voters chose the same candidate as the eventual winner of the adult poll.
President Barack Obama has accepted the invitation to appear on the show this year.
According to the Guardian, Nickelodeon said it would now use file clips of Romney addressing some of the issues raised in the questions by viewers.
Linda Ellerbee, host of Nick News, said she was disappointed by the Romney team’s decision.
"I would be equally disappointed if he had said yes and Obama said no," Ellerbee said, adding: "It`s not a personal thing, it`s just a shame when both candidates don`t see it as something important."
The network said Nick News reached out to Romney several times since April, but his campaign has since refused, the report said.
"I am still holding the door open until midnight October 14, I can work all night and cut the show and get him in. We`ll meet him anywhere," Ellerbee added.
The special program will air on 15 October on Nickelodeon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital