Now, Romney refuses to appear on kids’ channel
Washington: Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has turned down a request to appear on Nickelodeon’s election special, his campaign has announced.
The children’s channel launched the show, Kids Pick the President: The Candidates, in 1988, where the presidential candidates answer videotaped questions from children, and then viewers can vote for their choice of president in an online poll.
In five of the past six presidential elections, child voters chose the same candidate as the eventual winner of the adult poll.
President Barack Obama has accepted the invitation to appear on the show this year.
According to the Guardian, Nickelodeon said it would now use file clips of Romney addressing some of the issues raised in the questions by viewers.
Linda Ellerbee, host of Nick News, said she was disappointed by the Romney team’s decision.
"I would be equally disappointed if he had said yes and Obama said no," Ellerbee said, adding: "It`s not a personal thing, it`s just a shame when both candidates don`t see it as something important."
The network said Nick News reached out to Romney several times since April, but his campaign has since refused, the report said.
"I am still holding the door open until midnight October 14, I can work all night and cut the show and get him in. We`ll meet him anywhere," Ellerbee added.
The special program will air on 15 October on Nickelodeon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM