NRI elected as Deputy Mayor of London Borough
London: A leading NRI in the UK has been elected as the Deputy Mayor of a London Borough.
Councillor Sunil Chopra, has been elected as the Deputy Mayor of Southwark for 2013-14.
Delhi-born Chopra, General Secretary of the Indian Overseas Congress, London, is the first and only Indian-origin elected councillor in London Borough of Southwark Council, which has only 1.5 per cent Indian-origin people.
Commenting on his election, Chopra said last night, "I feel really proud to be an Indian (British Citizen). It is not only a great honour for me and my family but for the whole Indian Community. I will keep working with the community."
Chopra, born and brought up in Delhi before moving to the UK was the first President of College of Vocational Studies in Delhi.
During his University days he was Vice President of Youth Congress Delhi and was president of NSUI, Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch