NRI elected as Deputy Mayor of London Borough
London: A leading NRI in the UK has been elected as the Deputy Mayor of a London Borough.
Councillor Sunil Chopra, has been elected as the Deputy Mayor of Southwark for 2013-14.
Delhi-born Chopra, General Secretary of the Indian Overseas Congress, London, is the first and only Indian-origin elected councillor in London Borough of Southwark Council, which has only 1.5 per cent Indian-origin people.
Commenting on his election, Chopra said last night, "I feel really proud to be an Indian (British Citizen). It is not only a great honour for me and my family but for the whole Indian Community. I will keep working with the community."
Chopra, born and brought up in Delhi before moving to the UK was the first President of College of Vocational Studies in Delhi.
During his University days he was Vice President of Youth Congress Delhi and was president of NSUI, Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place