NRI elected as Deputy Mayor of London Borough
London: A leading NRI in the UK has been elected as the Deputy Mayor of a London Borough.
Councillor Sunil Chopra, has been elected as the Deputy Mayor of Southwark for 2013-14.
Delhi-born Chopra, General Secretary of the Indian Overseas Congress, London, is the first and only Indian-origin elected councillor in London Borough of Southwark Council, which has only 1.5 per cent Indian-origin people.
Commenting on his election, Chopra said last night, "I feel really proud to be an Indian (British Citizen). It is not only a great honour for me and my family but for the whole Indian Community. I will keep working with the community."
Chopra, born and brought up in Delhi before moving to the UK was the first President of College of Vocational Studies in Delhi.
During his University days he was Vice President of Youth Congress Delhi and was president of NSUI, Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional