NRI elected as Deputy Mayor of London Borough
London: A leading NRI in the UK has been elected as the Deputy Mayor of a London Borough.
Councillor Sunil Chopra, has been elected as the Deputy Mayor of Southwark for 2013-14.
Delhi-born Chopra, General Secretary of the Indian Overseas Congress, London, is the first and only Indian-origin elected councillor in London Borough of Southwark Council, which has only 1.5 per cent Indian-origin people.
Commenting on his election, Chopra said last night, "I feel really proud to be an Indian (British Citizen). It is not only a great honour for me and my family but for the whole Indian Community. I will keep working with the community."
Chopra, born and brought up in Delhi before moving to the UK was the first President of College of Vocational Studies in Delhi.
During his University days he was Vice President of Youth Congress Delhi and was president of NSUI, Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!