NRI elected as Deputy Mayor of London Borough
London: A leading NRI in the UK has been elected as the Deputy Mayor of a London Borough.
Councillor Sunil Chopra, has been elected as the Deputy Mayor of Southwark for 2013-14.
Delhi-born Chopra, General Secretary of the Indian Overseas Congress, London, is the first and only Indian-origin elected councillor in London Borough of Southwark Council, which has only 1.5 per cent Indian-origin people.
Commenting on his election, Chopra said last night, "I feel really proud to be an Indian (British Citizen). It is not only a great honour for me and my family but for the whole Indian Community. I will keep working with the community."
Chopra, born and brought up in Delhi before moving to the UK was the first President of College of Vocational Studies in Delhi.
During his University days he was Vice President of Youth Congress Delhi and was president of NSUI, Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted