NSA chief admits trying to track Americans` phone locations
Washington: The National Security Agency (NSA) chief Gen. Keith B. Alexander has reportedly admitted that his spy agency tried to test whether they could locate Americans` phone location, apart from snooping on their web and phone data.
Alexander said that the agency did try once in 2010 and 2011, to track Americans` cellphone locations, but added that the NSA does not use that capability and left it to the FBI to build a criminal or foreign intelligence case against a suspect and track him.
According to the Fox News, Alexander said that the ability may be a future requirement for the country and is not to be used right now because when the agency identifies a number, it gives it to the FBI.
He further said that if the NSA requires tracking a suspect in this manner, it would first seek approval of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISA).
Alexander and Director of National Intelligence James Clapper told lawmakers that the government shutdown that began Tuesday is seriously damaging the intelligence community`s ability to guard against threats.
The report added them saying that the agency is keeping counterterrorism staff at work as well as those providing intelligence to troops in Afghanistan, but that some 70 percent of the civilian workforce has been furloughed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest