NSA labels `errors leading to 1,000 privacy breaches in one year` as `miniscule`
Washington: As per the internal audit reports of US` National Security Agency (NSA), the organization breached privacy laws governing its surveillance programs at the rate of 1,000 violations in a year but one of NSA`s top official considers the number to be `miniscule`.
NSA`s director of compliance, John DeLong said that the number of mistakes by the agency was extremely low compared with its overall activities and argued that the majority of violations were unintentional human or technical errors, the New York Times reports.
DeLong added that the existence of the report showed that the agency`s efforts to detect and correct violations of the rules were robust and no one at NSA considers it alright to have a mistake.
He further emphasized that the majority of the 2,776 incidents, 1,904 of them were in a category that did not involve Americans, but rather foreigners abroad whose cellphones were being wiretapped.
The disclosed audit report had also mentioned that the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISA) was unaware of NSA`s new data collection method for months of being operational but later ruled it as unconstitutional.
Another security official at the agency had said that it is a human-run agency operating in a complex environment with a number of different regulatory regimes, so at times they find themselves on the wrong side of the line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH