Nuclear-armed Iran unacceptable: Pentagon
Washington: Iran must not be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons, the US Department of Defence has said.
"Our assessment of the programme remains the same... We are very concerned about where they might be headed. An Iran with a nuclear weapon is unacceptable," said George Little, acting assistant secretary of defence for public affairs, Thursday.
"The United States has made that point crystal clear that all options are on the table to prevent Iran from developing that capability," Little said.
"We don`t know, at this stage, whether they have made the decision to proceed with the development of a nuclear weapon. It would be unacceptable if they do move forward," he said.
The Pentagon spokesperson said he believes sanctions are the most effective way to pressure Iran.
The West accuses Iran of pursuing a secret nuclear weapons programme but Tehran insists it needs nuclear power solely to generate electricity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines
- West Indies vs India, 2nd T20I: Wet outfield denies MS Dhoni & Co chance to level series
- Two minors held for gang-raping minor in Delhi