Nuclear non-proliferation panel meets in Hiroshima
Hiroshima: An international panel on nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament opened a meeting on Sunday in Hiroshima, the world`s first city to suffer an atomic bombing, seeking ways to bring about a world without nuclear weapons.
During the three-day conference, the International Commission on Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament is expected to discuss concrete measures for reducing the number of nuclear weapons and restricting their use.
In a draft report obtained by Kyodo News, the panel targeted reducing the number of existing nuclear warheads in the world from more than 20,000 to 1,000 or fewer by 2025 and to make every nuclear state commit to the no-first-use doctrine by that year.
The doctrine is a pledge by a nuclear power not to use nuclear weapons unless it or its allies come under nuclear attack.
The commission is co-chaired by former Japanese Foreign Minister Yoriko Kawaguchi and former Australian foreign minister Gareth Evans.
It plans to unveil a final report in early January on a roadmap to the ultimate goal of a world free of nuclear weapons, which was proposed by US President Barack Obama in April in Prague. The next Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty review conference is slated for May in New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Yuvraj Singh trolls R Ashwin for photobombing his picture with Virat Kohli – See pic!