Nuclear North Korea becoming a "nuisance": Chinese expert
Beijing: Continuing the tirade against North Korea, a top Chinese expert on Sunday said Beijing has lost its "ally", with Pyongyang becoming a "nuisance" due to its defiant nuclear tests.
"There used to be some sympathy in Asia for North Korea and its striving defiance of the US and others that it sees as enemies. But now, even China, the long viewed ally of North Korea, sees North Korea`s defiance as a nuisance," a write up on state-run newspaper `Global Times` website said.
"The North has never viewed China as an ally. Even if the two ever had friendship, China has already lost North Korea", added the article by Zhang Liangui, an expert on North Korea at the ruling Communist Party of China.
"North Koreans, as well as some Chinese, believe that the country, standing on China`s east door, has been a guard of regional security for its neighbour (China). Therefore, no matter what North Korea does, China is supposed to support it to make it stable.
This prompted North Korea`s intention to use this as diplomatic leverage on China", it said.
The article went on to add that China too had leverage.
"It is the main source of the North`s food, arms and fuel. Without these, North Korea cannot sustain itself, let alone carry out nuclear tests. Nonetheless, China has never exercised this leverage", it said.
"North Korea has never cared about China`s attitude. When it needs China`s assistance, it would please China by saying flattering words such as China`s achievements of its reform and opening-up.
But after it gets what it wants, it would show indifference to the policy", it added.
The article also wonders whether North Korea is getting closer to US, as it informed the latter about its April 2012 satellite launch in December 2011.
"When the news was released, China`s Ministry of Foreign Affairs felt embarrassed when asked if it had known about the launch. This is the reality of the China-North Korea relationship," it added.
"The North sees it as less important than its relationship with the US. If North Korea gradually gets closer to the US and the US admits it as a nuclear state, the rest of the international community would follow."
Arguing that China does not have such influence, the article said: "The North knows this clearly."
As Pyongyang drifts away from China, Beijing appears to be making efforts to get closer to its arch rival South Korea, with a high-level delegation attending the new President Park Geun-hye`s swearing-in ceremony tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue