Nuclear safety tests in Japan appropriate: IAEA
Tokyo: An International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) group has found the safety tests it had overseen at Japan`s idled nuclear reactors to be in line with international standards.
The head of a delegation from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) submitted a report to Japan`s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) Tuesday in this regard, Xinhua reported.
The preliminary report by James Lyons, head of the IAEA`s fact-finding team, was submitted to the Director General of NISA, Hiroyuki Fukano. It judged that NISA`s overseeing of power companies` stress tests was appropriate.
"The conclusion of the team is that NISA`s instructions and review process for the Comprehensive Safety Assessments are generally consistent with IAEA Safety Standards," the IAEA said in a written statement.
Lyons, director of nuclear installations safety at the IAEA, told reporters he was impressed by Japan`s emergency safety measures following last March`s tsunami-triggered nuclear crisis, although he noted there was room for improvement.
"We were very impressed with the way Japan quickly implemented the emergency safety measures after the accident in March. They have also been very active in participating in the international community to determine the steps forward," Lyons told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!