Nuclear terrorism is for real, says Chinese daily
Beijing: Compared to potential threats from nuclear states, nuclear terrorism is a more urgent threat, the online edition of China`s People`s Daily warned Thursday.
As the world was increasingly relying on nuclear energy, terrorism risks in nuclear power stations and nuclear facilities were also increasing, the paper said.
While over 1,000 nuclear facilities were supervised and protected by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), there were facilities that were not covered by IAEA, it said.
"Once the terrorists obtain nuclear weapons, the nuclear disaster facing humanity will come," it said.
The daily said the IAEA had recorded more than 1,500 incidents of loss or theft of nuclear and other radioactive material between 1993 and 2008 when the global financial crisis occurred.
It also recorded more than 1,600 incidents of nuclear smuggling during the period, over 20 of which involved the smuggling of nuclear material that was enough to build a simple atom bomb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical