Number of dead pigs in and near Shanghai goes to 11,955
Beijing: The number of dead pigs retrieved from waters in and near China`s financial hub of Shanghai has reached nearly 12,000.
The upstream city of Jiaxing where small hog farms are prevalent reported yesterday night that it had recovered 3,601 dead pigs from its streams, according to state media.
In Shanghai, authorities have retrieved 8,354 swollen and rotting carcasses from Huangpu river, which provides the metropolis with drinking water. The dead pigs are largely believed to be from Jiaxing, but Zhao Shumei, a deputy vice mayor, said it was inconclusive to say all the pigs were from her city.
Both Shanghai, a city of 23 million people, and Jiaxing say there`s been no swine epidemic and that tap water remains safe, but local residents remain worried about water contamination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday