NY: `96% of shooting victims are blacks/Hispanics`
Washington: A new report by the New York Police Department shows that 96 percent of shooting victims in the United States are either black or Hispanic while crime primarily is centred in minority-group neighbourhoods.
A review of the statistics, contained in a report, “Crime Enforcement Activity in New York City”, shows that minority-group members represent 89 percent of murder victims and 86 percent of murder suspects.
Citing an NYPD analysis of stats for the first six months of the year, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said that in 97 percent of all shootings, the trigger was pulled by other blacks and Hispanics, the New York Daily News reports.
The report showed that there are similar numbers for felony assaults with 81 percent of victims are minorities, as are 88 percent of the suspects.
But there is a sharp disparity for robberies, with blacks described as suspects in 70 percent of the cases, while they are victims in 33 percent of the crimes.
In response to the statistics, Senator Eric Adams said that with too many minority men “career unemployed,” it’s inevitable some will turn to a life of crime.
Kelly has worked to improve the NYPD’s relationship with minorities, in part by working with a task force of Brooklyn clergy, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport