NY: `96% of shooting victims are blacks/Hispanics`
Washington: A new report by the New York Police Department shows that 96 percent of shooting victims in the United States are either black or Hispanic while crime primarily is centred in minority-group neighbourhoods.
A review of the statistics, contained in a report, “Crime Enforcement Activity in New York City”, shows that minority-group members represent 89 percent of murder victims and 86 percent of murder suspects.
Citing an NYPD analysis of stats for the first six months of the year, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said that in 97 percent of all shootings, the trigger was pulled by other blacks and Hispanics, the New York Daily News reports.
The report showed that there are similar numbers for felony assaults with 81 percent of victims are minorities, as are 88 percent of the suspects.
But there is a sharp disparity for robberies, with blacks described as suspects in 70 percent of the cases, while they are victims in 33 percent of the crimes.
In response to the statistics, Senator Eric Adams said that with too many minority men “career unemployed,” it’s inevitable some will turn to a life of crime.
Kelly has worked to improve the NYPD’s relationship with minorities, in part by working with a task force of Brooklyn clergy, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'