NY forensic experts to search 9/11 rubble for bones
New York: New York forensic experts will start a major new search on Monday through debris from the World Trade Centre for remains of people killed in the 9/11 terrorist attack, officials said.
About 844 cubic yards (645 cubic meters) of material recovered from the reconstruction site at Ground Zero will be combed for bones and other remains of the 2,752 people killed when hijacked airliners slammed into the Twin Towers on September 11, 2001.
"That material is going to be sifted to see if there are any human remains," said Jason Post, a spokesman for Mayor Michael Bloomberg. "We`re taking every step we can to recover the remains of 9/11 victims."
Experts, including anthropologists, will hand check the material in the USD 1.4 million operation, which could go on as long as three months at a closed location at a landfill on Staten Island.
Previous searches through the mountain of rubble from the World Trade Centre, which collapsed as a result of the aircraft strikes, have already turned up 1,772 pieces of potential human remains, according to the mayor`s office.
Many of those remains belonged to already identified victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery