NY Governor`s support thin amid pressure to resign
New York: Pressure mounted on Thursday on New York state Governor David Paterson to quit after another aide resigned in an expanding political scandal -- and even his most ardent backers offered only tepid support.
Paterson`s director of communications quit -- the second high-level aide to step down in a week. Black leaders in Paterson`s power base of Harlem held an emergency meeting but stopped short of endorsing that Paterson remain in office.
Paterson, a Democrat, already has abandoned his bid to seek a new term as governor amid questions that he may have improperly intervened to protect an aide from a domestic-violence allegation.
Then Paterson was charged on Wednesday by the state`s ethics watchdog for unlawfully taking free tickets to the 2009 baseball World Series.
Paterson has denied any wrongdoing and pledged to cooperate with investigators.
"All of us have agreed that due process must be respected and regarded, and the continuing of governing and providing services is what we want," civil rights leader Al Sharpton said late on Thursday.
Sharpton declined to offer an endorsement of the Governor after conducting the emergency meeting to discuss Paterson and U.S. Representative Charlie Rangel, who temporarily stepped down as chairman of the powerful U.S. House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee on Wednesday while he faces an ethics investigation.
Paterson and Rangel are black politicians from Harlem, the historic center of black culture and politics in New York.
"I don`t see how" Paterson can keep his job, said one invited guest, who spoke on condition of anonymity before the meeting and said some of the discussion might focus on finding a graceful way to ease Paterson out.
Denise O`Donnell, Paterson`s deputy secretary for public safety, resigned last week in protest over contacts Paterson and the state police had with a woman who had sought a protective order against Paterson aide David Johnson.
The woman at the center of the case failed to show up for a court appearance one day after speaking with the governor, resulting in the case being dismissed.
Then on Thursday Paterson`s director of communications resigned, citing matters of "integrity and commitment to public service." "Unfortunately, as recent developments have come to light, I cannot in good conscience continue in my current position. I have notified the governor that I am resigning as director of communications," Peter Kauffmann said in a statement.
If Paterson were to step down, it would elevate an unelected appointee -- Lieutenant Governor Richard Ravitch -- to the post of governor until a new governor can be elected in November and sworn in next January.
Ravitch, a lawyer and longtime public official, was appointed by Paterson last July, four months after Paterson assumed the governorship when Democratic Governor Eliot Spitzer resigned in a prostitution scandal.
Paterson, who was elected Lieutenant Governor in 2006, assumed the top job two years ago when Spitzer resigned. Since then his public opinion poll numbers have declined in tandem with a number of political missteps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow