NY nanny accused of killing kids appears in court
New York: A nanny charged with murder in the stabbing deaths of two small New York children under her care has appeared in court for the first time.
Yoselyn Ortega was hospitalised for weeks with stab wounds police said were self-inflicted after the October 25 killings.
She was arraigned at the hospital in November but has since been released. She appeared in court on Friday wearing glasses and her hair in braids.
Lawyers say psychiatric evaluations for Ortega are incomplete, and they need more time to review medical records to determine whether she is fit for trial. She is from the Dominican Republic.
Authorities say Ortega stabbed 6-year-old Lucia Krim and her 2-year-old brother, Leo, while the children`s mother was out with a third child.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air