NY nanny accused of killing kids appears in court
New York: A nanny charged with murder in the stabbing deaths of two small New York children under her care has appeared in court for the first time.
Yoselyn Ortega was hospitalised for weeks with stab wounds police said were self-inflicted after the October 25 killings.
She was arraigned at the hospital in November but has since been released. She appeared in court on Friday wearing glasses and her hair in braids.
Lawyers say psychiatric evaluations for Ortega are incomplete, and they need more time to review medical records to determine whether she is fit for trial. She is from the Dominican Republic.
Authorities say Ortega stabbed 6-year-old Lucia Krim and her 2-year-old brother, Leo, while the children`s mother was out with a third child.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- 'Befikre' Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor's latest STILL will make you standstill!
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch
- Afzal Guru event: JNU panel holds 21 students 'guilty of indiscipline'; no relief to Umar, Anirban
- Water shortage may have led to demise of Maya civilisation