NY nanny accused of killing kids appears in court
New York: A nanny charged with murder in the stabbing deaths of two small New York children under her care has appeared in court for the first time.
Yoselyn Ortega was hospitalised for weeks with stab wounds police said were self-inflicted after the October 25 killings.
She was arraigned at the hospital in November but has since been released. She appeared in court on Friday wearing glasses and her hair in braids.
Lawyers say psychiatric evaluations for Ortega are incomplete, and they need more time to review medical records to determine whether she is fit for trial. She is from the Dominican Republic.
Authorities say Ortega stabbed 6-year-old Lucia Krim and her 2-year-old brother, Leo, while the children`s mother was out with a third child.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference