NY nanny accused of killing kids appears in court
New York: A nanny charged with murder in the stabbing deaths of two small New York children under her care has appeared in court for the first time.
Yoselyn Ortega was hospitalised for weeks with stab wounds police said were self-inflicted after the October 25 killings.
She was arraigned at the hospital in November but has since been released. She appeared in court on Friday wearing glasses and her hair in braids.
Lawyers say psychiatric evaluations for Ortega are incomplete, and they need more time to review medical records to determine whether she is fit for trial. She is from the Dominican Republic.
Authorities say Ortega stabbed 6-year-old Lucia Krim and her 2-year-old brother, Leo, while the children`s mother was out with a third child.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees