NY Police Commissioner`s son accused of rape

Last Updated: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 00:16

New York: The son of New York Police Commissioner has been accused by a woman of raping her, a charge that he has denied.

Greg Kelly, who is anchor at a local television show, is
the son of Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly. The case is
being handled by office of the Manhattan district attorney
Cyrus Vance and not by the Police Department to avoid conflict
arising from investigating a case against the commissioner’s
son.

Kelly, 43, has denied any wrongdoing in a statement
released by his lawyer Andrew Lankler.

Kelly "strenuously denies any wrongdoing of any kind, and
is cooperating fully with the district attorney’s
investigation. We know the district attorney’s investigation
will prove Kelly’s innocence," the statement said.

The young woman has told law enforcement authorities that
she had met the junior Kelly on the street last October and
had then gone for drinks. She said she was raped by Kelly when
they went to her office at a Lower Manhattan law firm. The
two, however, continued to remain in contact by phone and text
messages after the incident.

The woman said her boyfriend became angry when he heard
of what had happened and even confronted the police
commissioner at a public event, telling him that his son had
sexually assaulted his girlfriend.

Kelly currently co-anchors Fox`s show `Good Day New
York`. He had served as a fighter pilot for nine years in the
United States Marine Corps.

Following the accusation, Kelly did not appear on the
show this morning.

The accusation against his son comes even as the police
chief is facing flak for appearing in an anti-Muslim video
that was shown to the police department`s officials during
training in 2010.

Kelly appears briefly in the film `The Third Jihad` that
shows an Islamic flag over the White House and Muslims
shooting other people.

Initially Kelly`s office had denied he had been
interviewed for the film but in a statement yesterday, Kelly
said he had agreed nearly five years ago to be interviewed for
the film as its maker had good credentials.

"While it never became part of the Department`s
curriculum, and was not authorised for any training,
regrettably it was shown in a room where officers who were
filling out paperwork or on break from actual training had an
opportunity to view it over an extended period in 2010," the
statement said.

Kelly apologised to the Muslim community saying when the
content of the film was brought to the attention of the
department, the film was withdrawn.

Kelly said he appeared for only 15 seconds in the movie
that also includes interviews with former Mayor Giuliani and
former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge.

PTI



First Published: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 00:16

comments powered by Disqus