New York: Employees at Rupert Murdoch`s
tabloid the New York Post have been instructed to preserve any
traces of the kind of phone hacking uncovered at one of the
media tycoon`s British newspapers.
In a memo, Post editor Col Allan told employees that
the instruction from in-house lawyers to "preserve and
maintain documents" came "in light of what has gone on in
London at News of the World, and not because any recipient has
done anything improper or unlawful."
Allan stressed that the Post, a daily with a
reputation for hard-hitting scoops, or what critics see as
muck-raking, was not itself suspected of the illegal activity
uncovered at other papers in Murdoch`s News Corporation
"As we watched the news in the UK over the last few
weeks, we knew that as a News Corporation tabloid, we would be
looked at more closely. So this is not unexpected," he said in
yesterday`s memo posted on poynter.com online journalism site.
The revelation of widespread phone hacking by
journalists has caused a political uproar in Britain and News
Corp is concerned that investigators may widen their probe to
Murdoch`s US-based outlets.
The racy News of the World tabloid was found to have
illegally hacked into phones of prominent British crime
victims and as many as 4,000 people in total.
A US official told the Wall Street Journal -- a
Murdoch broadsheet -- last week that the US Justice Department
is preparing to subpoena News Corp as part of a probe into
allegations of hacking into the voicemail of September 11
News Corp has said there is no evidence of hacking the
phones of the terrorist attack`s victims. The report was first
raised in Britain`s Daily Mirror, a tabloid competing with