NY schools open a week after Hurricane Sandy
New York: New York City schools opened Monday a week after Hurricane Sandy killed 40 people in the Big Apple, while further stretches of the subway were rolling again and electricity was restored to most homes.
Nonetheless, 65 of the more than 1,100 public schools in the city have not been able to resume classes due to hurricane damage or because they are still being used as shelters and for storing aid supplies to help those most affected by the storm.
"I don`t want to go back to school," said a fourth-grader Monday morning, not very pleased that his unexpected week`s vacation was over, while others with a more positive outlook couldn`t wait to see their friends again.
The subway reopened more of its rail network Monday, though 4 out of its 23 lines are still out of commission.
Electricity has gradually been coming back on, and Monday morning the number of customers without service dropped below 100,000, compared with the 660,000 who suffered power outages when the storm blew in.
Also showing improvement is the gasoline supply, with the scarcity dispelled by measures the authorities have taken over the past few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof