NYC fraud trial to begin for 5 ex-Madoff employees
New York: Jury selection begins tomorrow in the New York fraud trial of five former employees of imprisoned Wall Street financier Bernard Madoff.
Nearly five years in the making, the trial of Madoff`s longtime secretary and other back-office workers is expected to unfold over five months in federal court in Manhattan.
It`s the first trial to result from the unprecedented fraud that was revealed to thousands of investors in December 2008 with Madoff`s arrest.
Madoff is serving a 150-year prison sentence in Butner, North Carolina.
Prosecutors say the defendants played critical roles in helping Madoff conceal a fraud that squandered nearly USD 20 billion in investor money over several decades.
The defendants have pleaded not guilty. They are expected to argue through lawyers that they were victims of the fraud as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur