NYC fraud trial to begin for 5 ex-Madoff employees
New York: Jury selection begins tomorrow in the New York fraud trial of five former employees of imprisoned Wall Street financier Bernard Madoff.
Nearly five years in the making, the trial of Madoff`s longtime secretary and other back-office workers is expected to unfold over five months in federal court in Manhattan.
It`s the first trial to result from the unprecedented fraud that was revealed to thousands of investors in December 2008 with Madoff`s arrest.
Madoff is serving a 150-year prison sentence in Butner, North Carolina.
Prosecutors say the defendants played critical roles in helping Madoff conceal a fraud that squandered nearly USD 20 billion in investor money over several decades.
The defendants have pleaded not guilty. They are expected to argue through lawyers that they were victims of the fraud as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH