NYC fraud trial to begin for 5 ex-Madoff employees
New York: Jury selection begins tomorrow in the New York fraud trial of five former employees of imprisoned Wall Street financier Bernard Madoff.
Nearly five years in the making, the trial of Madoff`s longtime secretary and other back-office workers is expected to unfold over five months in federal court in Manhattan.
It`s the first trial to result from the unprecedented fraud that was revealed to thousands of investors in December 2008 with Madoff`s arrest.
Madoff is serving a 150-year prison sentence in Butner, North Carolina.
Prosecutors say the defendants played critical roles in helping Madoff conceal a fraud that squandered nearly USD 20 billion in investor money over several decades.
The defendants have pleaded not guilty. They are expected to argue through lawyers that they were victims of the fraud as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines
- West Indies vs India, 2nd T20I: Wet outfield denies MS Dhoni & Co chance to level series
- Two minors held for gang-raping minor in Delhi
- Punjab seeks probe into AAP funding by radicals