NYC mosque`s Imam getting death threats: Wife
New York: The wife of an Imam planning an Islamic community centre and mosque near ground zero says she and her husband have received death threats.
Daisy Khan said on Sunday the lives of her and Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf are "under threat". Police can`t confirm the threats.
Khan was part of a discussion of Islam on ABC television`s "This Week" news program.
She says moderate Muslims like her must lead the fight against extremists. She says if moderates are branded extremists they`ll be thrown into the arms of al Qaeda.
Developer Sharif El-Gamal has released preliminary sketches of the Islamic centre. He says groundbreaking is probably two to three years away.
Opponents say the centre should be farther away from where Islamic extremists destroyed the World Trade Centre on September 11. Supporters say religious freedom should be protected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal