NYC mosque`s Imam getting death threats: Wife
New York: The wife of an Imam planning an Islamic community centre and mosque near ground zero says she and her husband have received death threats.
Daisy Khan said on Sunday the lives of her and Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf are "under threat". Police can`t confirm the threats.
Khan was part of a discussion of Islam on ABC television`s "This Week" news program.
She says moderate Muslims like her must lead the fight against extremists. She says if moderates are branded extremists they`ll be thrown into the arms of al Qaeda.
Developer Sharif El-Gamal has released preliminary sketches of the Islamic centre. He says groundbreaking is probably two to three years away.
Opponents say the centre should be farther away from where Islamic extremists destroyed the World Trade Centre on September 11. Supporters say religious freedom should be protected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez