NYC mosque`s Imam getting death threats: Wife
New York: The wife of an Imam planning an Islamic community centre and mosque near ground zero says she and her husband have received death threats.
Daisy Khan said on Sunday the lives of her and Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf are "under threat". Police can`t confirm the threats.
Khan was part of a discussion of Islam on ABC television`s "This Week" news program.
She says moderate Muslims like her must lead the fight against extremists. She says if moderates are branded extremists they`ll be thrown into the arms of al Qaeda.
Developer Sharif El-Gamal has released preliminary sketches of the Islamic centre. He says groundbreaking is probably two to three years away.
Opponents say the centre should be farther away from where Islamic extremists destroyed the World Trade Centre on September 11. Supporters say religious freedom should be protected.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living