NYC policeman convicted in cannibal-plot case
New York: A New York City police officer was today convicted of charges that he plotted to kidnap and cook women to dine on their "girl meat" ? a macabre case that subjected jurors to often gory evidence and asked them to separate fantasy from reality.
The Manhattan jury reached the verdict in federal court at the kidnapping conspiracy trial of Officer Gilberto Valle, a 28-year-old father with an admitted fetish for talking on the Internet about cannibalism.
Valle`s lawyers, at what the tabloids dubbed the "Cannibal Cop" trial, chose not to hide what they called his "weird proclivities". But they insisted that he was just fantasising and noted that none of the women were ever harmed.
Valle bowed his head and looked teary-eyed when the verdict was announced. He hugged his lawyer, Julia Gatto, who said later that she and Valle had been crying.
"The jury was unable to get past the thoughts," Gatto said. "Obviously, the case involved thoughts that were unusual and bizarre and frankly very ugly."
She called it a "dangerous prosecution when we start opening our minds and prosecuting what`s in our brains and not what`s in the real world."
US Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement: "Today, a unanimous jury found that Gilberto Valle`s detailed and specific plans to abduct women for the purpose of committing grotesque crimes were very real, and that he was guilty as charged. The Internet is a forum for the free exchange of ideas, but it does not confer immunity for plotting crimes and taking steps to carry out those crimes."
Valle faces up to life in prison when he is sentenced on June 19. With the conviction, he loses his job as a police officer.
Prosecutors said that an analysis of Valle`s computer found he was taking concrete steps to abduct his wife and at least five other women he knew. They said he looked up potential targets on a restricted law enforcement database, searched the Internet for how to knock someone out with chloroform, and showed up on the block of one woman after agreeing to kidnap her for USD 5,000 for a New Jersey man, now awaiting trial.
The jury, which deliberated for just over two days, heard Valle`s potential victims testify that they were trading innocent-sounding emails and texts with him, unaware he was supposedly scheming to make meals out of them. The government also sought to drive home the point that Valle was more of a threat because he was a police officer.
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match