NYC to sift Ground Zero debris for more 9/11 victims` remains
New York: New York City will today begin the mammoth task of sifting through the debris of buildings on the World Trade Center site to find more remains of the 9/11 terrorist attack victims that will allow more number of them to be identified.
According to an NBC report, the city has collected about 60 dump truck loads of debris from construction areas around the World Trade Center site, known as `Ground Zero`, over the past two and a half years that will be sifted for fragments of 9/11 victims` remains, New York City officials said Friday.
The debris will be combed for about 10 weeks starting today at a mobile sifting unit, the report said.
Of the 2,750 people killed in the September 11, 2001 attack, 1,634 have had their remains identified. Any human remains will be analysed by the medical examiner`s office for possible matches to 9/11 victims, it said.
"We will continue DNA testing until all recovered remains that can be matched with a victim are identified," Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway wrote Friday in a memo to Mayor Bloomberg.
The city expanded its search for remains of trade center victims in 2006, when several bones were found in a manhole.
More than 1,800 pieces of potential human remains have been found. The office has made 34 new identifications since 2006, and hundreds of fragments of remains have been matched to people who were already identified, the report said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents