NYC`s response to snowstorm `unacceptable`: Bloomberg
New York: New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg visited some of the neighbourhoods hard-hit by the Christmas weekend blizzard and confessed on Thursday that the city`s handling of the crisis was "inadequate and unacceptable”. But it was clear the anger wasn`t exactly melting away.
The mayor had just declared a victory of sorts — three days after the snow stopped falling, every street had been plowed at least once, he announced — when a politician appearing with him stepped up to the microphone to complain.
"Even where I live, there`s still about four inches" of snow in the roadway, Queens Borough President Helen Marshall told the reporters gathered at a recreation centre.
Partially plowed, packed-down snow from the 20-inch storm could still be seen on at least one street nearby. Marshall said constituents were still calling her office to ask: "Where is the plow?"
Some streets were still impassable or unplowed.
Angelo Annunziata stood on his Brooklyn block on a snowpacked street, drifts still covering half the cars. A snowplow came through for the first time on Thursday afternoon.
"I work in Manhattan, and there they`re running plows on clear pavement. All Bloomberg cares about are all the people coming in to Manhattan for New Year`s," he said. "Well, we pay taxes like everybody else. This is ridiculous."
As he did earlier in the week, Bloomberg promised to investigate what went wrong. But he denied budget cuts had anything to do with the city`s sluggish response. And while he said he would investigate persistent rumours that snowplow operators staged a slowdown during the storm, he said there was no evidence of such a protest.
Meanwhile, the New York area`s three main airports were almost back to a normal, with only a few stranded passengers left. And for the first time since the storm hit, the city`s hundreds of subway stations were all up and running Thursday, the day a fare increase took effect. The last of some 600 stuck buses had been cleared, as had most of the abandoned cars, the mayor said.
Bloomberg — a media mogul who has built a reputation as an able manager, adept at cutting through bureaucracy — defended the city`s response to the blizzard earlier in the week but adopted a more conciliatory tone over the past few days as complaints of stuck ambulances and unplowed streets mounted.
"The response to the snowstorm was inadequate and unacceptable," he conceded on Thursday. "Nobody is satisfied. We`re accountable. I`m accountable."
Around the city, banks of plowed snow still made crossing some streets tricky. But for many, things were closing in on normal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in