NYPD punishes 17 cops for racist comments
Washington: The New York City Police Department (NYPD) has disciplined 17 cops for posting racist comments on the social networking site Facebook regarding the West Indian Day Parade.
Around 150 comments were posted by several cops on Facebook, with many branding the parade revellers as ‘savages’ and ‘animals’.
“I say have the parade one more year, and when they all gather, drop a bomb and wipe them all out,” The New York Daily News quoted one of the cops, as posting on his Facebook page.
“Kill them all,” another person wrote.
The comments taken from the profile titled “No More West Indian Day Detail”, were brought together by a team of lawyers representing a man who was caught with a gun at the parade.
Investigators found that about 20 of the people who posted comments matched the names of NYPD police officers.
NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said four cops still face departmental trials on misconduct charges.
“Six cops were slapped with command disciplines and seven officers received lower levels of punishment, which included letters of instruction”, Browne said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding