NYPD punishes 17 cops for racist comments
Washington: The New York City Police Department (NYPD) has disciplined 17 cops for posting racist comments on the social networking site Facebook regarding the West Indian Day Parade.
Around 150 comments were posted by several cops on Facebook, with many branding the parade revellers as ‘savages’ and ‘animals’.
“I say have the parade one more year, and when they all gather, drop a bomb and wipe them all out,” The New York Daily News quoted one of the cops, as posting on his Facebook page.
“Kill them all,” another person wrote.
The comments taken from the profile titled “No More West Indian Day Detail”, were brought together by a team of lawyers representing a man who was caught with a gun at the parade.
Investigators found that about 20 of the people who posted comments matched the names of NYPD police officers.
NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said four cops still face departmental trials on misconduct charges.
“Six cops were slapped with command disciplines and seven officers received lower levels of punishment, which included letters of instruction”, Browne said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- BJP dares Bihar government to ban VHP meet as Tejaswi Yadav threatens action against Pravin Togadia
- Brexit: Remain or Leave? Results could go down to the wire
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump will not ask donors to repay nearly $50 million in campaign loans
- 78 dead, 500 hurt by storms in eastern China
- Brexit poll: In or out? British bookmakers see more bets placed on Britain staying in European Union