NYPD punishes 17 cops for racist comments
Washington: The New York City Police Department (NYPD) has disciplined 17 cops for posting racist comments on the social networking site Facebook regarding the West Indian Day Parade.
Around 150 comments were posted by several cops on Facebook, with many branding the parade revellers as ‘savages’ and ‘animals’.
“I say have the parade one more year, and when they all gather, drop a bomb and wipe them all out,” The New York Daily News quoted one of the cops, as posting on his Facebook page.
“Kill them all,” another person wrote.
The comments taken from the profile titled “No More West Indian Day Detail”, were brought together by a team of lawyers representing a man who was caught with a gun at the parade.
Investigators found that about 20 of the people who posted comments matched the names of NYPD police officers.
NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said four cops still face departmental trials on misconduct charges.
“Six cops were slapped with command disciplines and seven officers received lower levels of punishment, which included letters of instruction”, Browne said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next