NZ woman acquitted of murdering Indian-origin man
Wellington: A New Zealand court Thursday acquitted a woman of charges of murdering an Indian-origin man.
A jury of 12 members in the Wellington High Court cleared Jessica Lee Keefe, 30, of charges of murdering her partner Sean Verma, 30, at his flat in the suburb of Petone in Lower Hutt, Wellington, Jan 29 this year, Fairfax NZ News reported.
Verma died soon after receiving a knife wound to his chest in the flat.
The man of Indian descent was reportedly a member of a major criminal network in New Zealand known as the Mongrel Mob and was the father of Keefe`s youngest child.
Keefe had pleaded not guilty in court.
In her statement to police, she said that she could not remember how the knife pierced Verma`s chest when he was hitting her.
However, Keefe didn`t produce any evidence in the court.
She told the court that she got a knife to keep Verma away after he punched her.
Keefe said what happened next was a blank and she could not remember if she stabbed him.
In an earlier hearing, the defence lawayer had told the jury that Verma might have impaled himself on the knife while attacking Keefe.
Neighbours who saw the incident through the tall windows of Verma`s flat said they saw Keefe fighting back and swinging something at Verma.
Later, a 60-inch television`s screen was found cracked at two places.
Keefe and the children were reportedly living two doors away with Verma`s parents.
Prior to his death, Verma had pleaded guilty to assaulting Keefe and had also volunteered to go for a counselling course against domestic violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'