NZ`s quake-hit cathedral to be partly torn down
Wellington: The iconic cathedral in downtown Christchurch will be deconsecrated and partially demolished due to earthquake damage sustained earlier this year, officials said on Friday.
The safety measure will allow authorities to decide whether to retain any portion of the city`s most well-known building, which was seriously damaged by a strong earthquake in February. The Anglican church said it plans to construct a new cathedral that incorporates parts of the old one.
In the next few months, crews will begin the painstaking task of taking down unstable parts of the building while trying to save artefacts and shore up more stable parts of the structure, a church statement said. Crews will assess how much — if any — of the building can be saved as they proceed, a church spokeswoman said.
The Anglican church`s beauty, central location and climbable spire made it a popular tourist draw before the magnitude-6.1 earthquake struck in February, killing 182 people and destroying much of Christchurch`s downtown area. In an enduring image, the quake toppled the cathedral`s spire. Nobody died in that collapse.
The partial demolition and strengthening will cost 4 million New Zealand dollars (USD 3.2 million) and will allow artefacts to be saved, Church and government authorities said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory