OAS to discuss Ecuador-UK row over Julian Assange
London: The Organisation of American States (OAS) has called a meeting of foreign ministers to discuss the diplomatic dispute between Ecuador and Britain over WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
In a meeting on Friday, the group agreed that the row was not over the granting of asylum to Assange, but instead concerned the ‘inviolability’ of the Ecuador embassy in London.
Foreign ministers from North and South American nations will convene at the OAS Washington headquarters on next Friday after a vote by the organisation`s council that was overwhelmingly in favour.
According to the Telegraph, the foreign ministers will ‘address the situation between Ecuador and the UK in accordance with international law, and agree on appropriate measures to be adopted.’
The secretary general of the OAS, Jose Miguel Insulza, said the foreign ministers would focus on ‘the problem posed by the threat or warning made to Ecuador by the possibility of an intervention into its embassy in London.’
According to the paper, Ecuador`s permanent representative to the OAS, Maria Isabel Salvador, stressed that her country had no ‘hidden agenda’ and that it was of ‘overriding importance’ to establish the ‘inviolability of our diplomatic premises’.
She said Quito had received a written communication from the UK, warning it ‘should be aware that there is a legal basis in the UK, which would allow us to take action to arrest Assange in the existing facilities of the embassy’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!