OAS to discuss Ecuador-UK row over Julian Assange
London: The Organisation of American States (OAS) has called a meeting of foreign ministers to discuss the diplomatic dispute between Ecuador and Britain over WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
In a meeting on Friday, the group agreed that the row was not over the granting of asylum to Assange, but instead concerned the ‘inviolability’ of the Ecuador embassy in London.
Foreign ministers from North and South American nations will convene at the OAS Washington headquarters on next Friday after a vote by the organisation`s council that was overwhelmingly in favour.
According to the Telegraph, the foreign ministers will ‘address the situation between Ecuador and the UK in accordance with international law, and agree on appropriate measures to be adopted.’
The secretary general of the OAS, Jose Miguel Insulza, said the foreign ministers would focus on ‘the problem posed by the threat or warning made to Ecuador by the possibility of an intervention into its embassy in London.’
According to the paper, Ecuador`s permanent representative to the OAS, Maria Isabel Salvador, stressed that her country had no ‘hidden agenda’ and that it was of ‘overriding importance’ to establish the ‘inviolability of our diplomatic premises’.
She said Quito had received a written communication from the UK, warning it ‘should be aware that there is a legal basis in the UK, which would allow us to take action to arrest Assange in the existing facilities of the embassy’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!