Obama a monkey, tweets Australian
Melbourne: A young member of an Australian party called US President Barack Obama "a monkey" on Twitter, leading to a demand for his expulsion from the party.
Nick Sowden, a member of the Queensland Young Liberal National Party, posted messages on Twitter on Thursday night while Obama was being interviewed by ABC`s Kerry O`Brien, a media report said.
His tweet said: "I`m not sure why they paid kerry to fly to america, if they wanted an interview with a monkey surely a Ferry to Taronga would have sufficed."
Another said: "If I wanted to see a monkey on TV id watch Wildlife Rescue."
Sowden, who is in his 20s, on Friday morning said the comments were a joke and he told Fairfax Radio: "I think the people who follow me know this ... and the people on Twitter don`t, unfortunately."
Scores of party members on Friday morning called on the party senior executive to dismiss Sowden, president Rod Schneider told brisbanetimes.com.au.
"He doesn`t speak for us, he doesn`t hold a role (with the party). My phone has been off the hook with Young Liberal National Party members. I`ve had 20 emails saying `this guy doesn`t represent us`."
"I think he`s got a very, very short shelf life. He`s got a list of indiscretions. In extenuating circumstances, we can move (expulsion) forward," Schneider was quoted as saying.
While confirming that Sowden was an ordinary member of the Liberal National Party, a spokesperson said it was likely he would face disciplinary proceedings.
"Australia is a free country, people can make comments. But it is up to other members of our party to determine how they believe members within our party should behave."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price