Obama accuses Syrian Prez of `unspeakable assault`
Washington: US President Barack Obama has accused his Syrian counterpart Bashar Al-Assad`s government of "unspeakable assault" on civilians and asked him to step down to allow a democratic transition immediately.
"I strongly condemn the Syrian government`s unspeakable assault against the people of Homs and I offer my deepest sympathy to those who have lost loved ones," Obama said.
Assad has "no right to lead Syria, and has lost all legitimacy with his people and the international community”, he said.
"Assad must halt his campaign of killing and crimes against his own people now. He must step aside and allow a democratic transition to proceed immediately," Obama said.
He underlined the need to work with the Syrian people to build a brighter future for Syria.
"A Syria without Assad could be a Syria in which all Syrians are subject to the rule of law and where minorities are able to exercise their legitimate rights and uphold their identities and traditions while acting as fully enfranchised citizens in a unified republic," he said.
Obama said the Syrian regime`s policy of maintaining power by terrorising its people only indicates its inherent weakness and inevitable collapse.
The powerful UN Security Council yesterday failed to adopt a draft resolution condemning the Assad regime and endorsing an Arab League plan for a political transition, following veto by both Russia and China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price