Obama admin `committed` to closing Gitmo facility
Washington: The Obama administration has not given up on the President`s pledge to close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.
White House Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest said on Wednesday that the administration remains committed to closing the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.
He said that progress has been made under this and the previous administration, and was clear that the facility will be closed but was going to take some time to fully close, Politico reports.
According to the report, Earnest said White House official are `closely monitoring` the situation at the facility as more than 30 detainees are reportedly staging a hunger strike and noted that representatives of the Red Cross will be visiting to assess conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players