Obama admin `committed` to closing Gitmo facility
Washington: The Obama administration has not given up on the President`s pledge to close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.
White House Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest said on Wednesday that the administration remains committed to closing the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.
He said that progress has been made under this and the previous administration, and was clear that the facility will be closed but was going to take some time to fully close, Politico reports.
According to the report, Earnest said White House official are `closely monitoring` the situation at the facility as more than 30 detainees are reportedly staging a hunger strike and noted that representatives of the Red Cross will be visiting to assess conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore