Obama Admin reviews handling of US secrets
Washington: The Obama administration ordered government agencies today to immediately review procedures for safeguarding classified information in the wake of the disclosure of thousands of secret State Department documents.
The Office of Management and Budget told agencies to establish security assessment teams to ensure that employees do not have broader access to classified information than what is needed to do their jobs.
OMB director Jacob Lew said the failure of agencies to safeguard classified information was unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
"Any unauthorised disclosure of classified information is a violation of our law and compromises our national security," Lew said in the memo.
The administration`s order came a day after the online whistle-blower group WikiLeaks released thousands of State Department documents that disclosed candid impressions from diplomats and other world leaders about America`s allies and foes.
The memos also unveil occasional US pressure tactics aimed at hot spots in Afghanistan, Pakistan and North Korea.
The White House condemned WikiLeaks` decision to release the documents, saying that the website defied US demands that it not publish the files, which the government considers to be stolen.
The agency review process will be led by OMB, along with the Information Security Oversight Office and the Office of Director of National Intelligence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’