Obama Admin reviews handling of US secrets
Washington: The Obama administration ordered government agencies today to immediately review procedures for safeguarding classified information in the wake of the disclosure of thousands of secret State Department documents.
The Office of Management and Budget told agencies to establish security assessment teams to ensure that employees do not have broader access to classified information than what is needed to do their jobs.
OMB director Jacob Lew said the failure of agencies to safeguard classified information was unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
"Any unauthorised disclosure of classified information is a violation of our law and compromises our national security," Lew said in the memo.
The administration`s order came a day after the online whistle-blower group WikiLeaks released thousands of State Department documents that disclosed candid impressions from diplomats and other world leaders about America`s allies and foes.
The memos also unveil occasional US pressure tactics aimed at hot spots in Afghanistan, Pakistan and North Korea.
The White House condemned WikiLeaks` decision to release the documents, saying that the website defied US demands that it not publish the files, which the government considers to be stolen.
The agency review process will be led by OMB, along with the Information Security Oversight Office and the Office of Director of National Intelligence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31