Obama administration insists on Guantanamo closure
Brussels: US Attorney General Eric Holder
on Tuesday said the Obama administration will do its utmost to
close the US prison at Guantanamo Bay before next year`s
presidential elections despite political opposition.
Holder said at the European Parliament that even if the
current administration fails to close it ahead of elections,
it will continue to press ahead if it wins the November 2012
Republican presidential rival Rick Perry has said he is
happy the US prison at Guantanamo has been kept open.
Holder said the administration wants to close the facility
"as quickly as possible, recognising that we will face
The campaign promise to close Guantanamo has been a major
problem for President Barack Obama since he took office. He
had promised to close the prison within a year but it remains
open as his campaign for re-election gets under way.
"We will be pressing for the closure of the facility
between now and then and after that election, we will try to
close it as well," Holder said.
"Some people have made this a political issue without
looking at, I think, the real benefits that would flow from
the closure of the facility."
The administration of George W Bush opened the prison for
terrorist suspects at the US Navy base in Cuba, and Obama,
amid a clamor on both sides of the Atlantic to close the
prison, vowed to do just that and move the detainees
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?