Obama administration praises Iranian voters
Washington: The Obama administration has said it respected the results of the presidential election in Iran conducted under restrictive conditions.
Shortly after moderate cleric Hasan Rowhani was declared the winner, White House spokesman Jay Carney congratulated Iranians for their courage in voting.
According to Fox News, he said Iranians were determined to make their voices heard, despite the limitations the ruling government imposed on the political process.
In a statement, Carney said the election took place against the backdrop of a lack of transparency, censorship of the media, Internet, and text messages, and an intimidating security environment that limited freedom of expression and assembly.
He added that despite those obstacles, Iranians were determined to act to shape their future.
Carney said that the US hoped that Iran`s new government will heed the will of the Iranian people and make responsible choices that create a better future for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday