Obama again appeals for tough gun control laws
Washington: US President Barack Obama on Thursday made another passionate plea to lawmakers for tough gun control laws as fresh chilling details emerged of how the gunman in last year`s Newtown school shooting, that killed 20 children, had been planning another major attack.
"I want to make sure every American is listening today. Less than a hundred days ago that happened. The entire country was shocked, and the entire country pledged we would do something about it and that this time would be different. Shame on us if we`ve forgotten," Obama said.
"I haven`t forgotten those kids. Shame on us if we`ve forgotten," Obama said at a White House event on gun control.
Earlier this month, he said, the Senate advanced some of the most important reforms designed to reduce gun violence.
All of them are consistent with the Second Amendment, he argued.
"None of them will infringe on the rights of responsible gun owners. What they will do is keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people who put others at risk. This is our best chance in more than a decade to take common-sense steps that will save lives," Obama said.
Alleging that some powerful lobbies are working against it, Obama said such people are doing everything they can to make all the progress collapse under the weight of fear and frustration.
"Or their assumption is, that people will just forget about it," he said.
Meanwhile, new documents unsealed in the court today revealed that investigators had found guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition inside the home of Adam Lanza, the Newtown shooter, hours after his house was searched following the shootout at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14.
Of the 26 dead, 20 were children in First Grade (equivalent to class one in India).
According to The Washington Post, the police also discovered news accounts related to another mass killing, photographs of a deceased person covered in plastic and blood, samurai swords, a National Rifle Association certificate in Lanza`s name, computers and video game consoles, as well as a book called "Train Your Brain to Get Happy."
Investigators also found a holiday card that Lanza`s mother gave him containing a check for the purchase of a firearm, the daily reported.
Federal prosecutors, in a separate statement, said Lanza fired at least 144 rounds, which lasted less than five minutes, in which he took as many as 26 lives.
The shooting ended as Lanza died of his self-inflicted wounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves