Obama announces his Nobel Prize money to charities
Washington: US President Barack Obama
today announced that he`ll donate his USD 1.4 million Nobel
Peace Prize award money among several charities, including
USD 200,000 to the Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund and USD 250,000 to
Fisher House, which provides housing to families of patients
at military medical centers.
"These organisations do extraordinary work in the
United States and abroad helping students, veterans and
countless others in need," Obama said.
"I`m proud to support their work," he said in a
Obama said the Central Asia Institute would receive
USD 100,000. The institute promotes and supports
community-based education and literacy, especially for girls,
in remote regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan.
The Institute’s co-founder, Greg Mortenson, was also a
Nobel Peace Prize nominee this year, whose book, `Three Cups
of Tea: One Man?s Mission to Promote Peace, One School at a
Time`, recounts his attempt to successfully establish dozens
of schools and promote girl education in rural Afghanistan and
Among other organizations to receive Obama?s Noble
money include USD 125,000 to College Summit, which is a
national non-profit organisation that partners with elementary
and middle schools and school districts to strengthen
college-going culture and increase college enrollment rates,
so that all students graduate from high school career and
college-ready, the White House said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH