Obama anxious about Israel`s fate: Blair
London: Middle East envoy Tony Blair says Barack Obama launched his peace initiative because he`s concerned about what might happen to Israel if Palestinians unilaterally declare statehood.
Blair told an audience of business leaders gathered in central London on Thursday that Obama is "frankly worried about the position that Israel is in”.
The ex-British PM says that Obama`s initiative — rejected by Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu — is an "an attempt to fill a vacuum which he sees as dangerous, particularly dangerous for Israel in the run-up to September."
Mideast watchers have speculated that Washington launched its peace initiative to head off a potentially damaging vote on Palestinian statehood at the UN General Assembly in September.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources