Obama anxious about Israel`s fate: Blair
London: Middle East envoy Tony Blair says Barack Obama launched his peace initiative because he`s concerned about what might happen to Israel if Palestinians unilaterally declare statehood.
Blair told an audience of business leaders gathered in central London on Thursday that Obama is "frankly worried about the position that Israel is in”.
The ex-British PM says that Obama`s initiative — rejected by Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu — is an "an attempt to fill a vacuum which he sees as dangerous, particularly dangerous for Israel in the run-up to September."
Mideast watchers have speculated that Washington launched its peace initiative to head off a potentially damaging vote on Palestinian statehood at the UN General Assembly in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Great Red Spot the source of heat on Jupiter: Scientists
- Lloyds to cut 3,000 jobs, close more branches after Brexit shock
- Chhattisgarh IAS officer claims 94% of death row convicts are Dalits, Muslims, triggers row
- Mahasweta Devi—A voice of the oppressed
- No objection to Rajnath attending SAARC meeting in Pak: Congress