Obama anxious about Israel`s fate: Blair
London: Middle East envoy Tony Blair says Barack Obama launched his peace initiative because he`s concerned about what might happen to Israel if Palestinians unilaterally declare statehood.
Blair told an audience of business leaders gathered in central London on Thursday that Obama is "frankly worried about the position that Israel is in”.
The ex-British PM says that Obama`s initiative — rejected by Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu — is an "an attempt to fill a vacuum which he sees as dangerous, particularly dangerous for Israel in the run-up to September."
Mideast watchers have speculated that Washington launched its peace initiative to head off a potentially damaging vote on Palestinian statehood at the UN General Assembly in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional