Obama approves covert support to Syrian rebels
Washington: Thousands of Syrian rebels battling President Bashar al-Assad`s forces will now get covert support from the US administration, reports claimed on Thursday.
As per reports, President Barack Obama has signed a covert order authorizing US’ clandestine support for Syrian rebels battling the Assad regime.
Reports claimed that the secret order, referred to as an intelligence "finding," allows for clandestine support by the CIA and other agencies.
It is, however, unclear as to when President Obama signed the authorization for Syria.
The Obama administration has announced that it will increase its assistance to the opposition rebels in the wake of last month`s failure by the UN Security Council to agree on tougher sanctions against al-Assad`s regime.
There is also no clarity on what type of support the Obama administration will be giving to the Syrian rebels.
White House spokesman Tommy Vietor has refused to comment on the issue.
The US administration has also ruled out arming the rebels for now and said that it will only provide only nonlethal assistance, such as communications equipment to them.
During the war in Libya, Obama signed a similar directive authorizing covert assistance for rebels in the battle against Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi.
The Obama administration has resisted arming the opposition, in part, because U.S. officials don`t know enough about the rebels.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan