Obama averages 49 per cent approval in his 1st term in office
Washington: President Barack Obama averaged 49.1 per cent job approval during his first term in office, among the lowest for post-World War II US presidents, Gallup said today.
Only Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford had lower job approval averages. Obama`s first-term average is most similar to Bill Clinton`s, it said, ahead of 51-year-old Obama`s second inauguration today.
Obama`s first-term approval average, like those of most presidents with lower first-term averages, was likely dragged down by a sluggish economy. Clinton and Reagan saw higher second-term approval as the economy improved.
Obama`s approval rating has also shown improvement, with a 48.1 per cent average in his fourth year in office after a 44.4 per cent average in his third year.
According to Gallup, Obama`s first term was also notable for the lack of a major surge in support, as occurred for George H W Bush during the Persian Gulf War and George W Bush after 9/11 terror attacks.
Obama did experience a modest and sustained increase in support after the death of Osama bin Laden, it said.
The results are based on aggregated data from Gallup Daily tracking throughout Obama`s first term in office.
Obama`s second term and fifth year in office began yesterday, when he was officially sworn in during a private ceremony, ahead of today`s public celebrations.
"The more recent positive trend in evaluations of Obama is evident in his quarterly averages. For his 16th quarter in office, from October 20 through January 19, he averaged 51.9 per cent approval. That was his first quarterly average above 50 percent since his fourth quarter in office," Gallup said.
"Obama has seen at least modest improvement in his job approval average each of the last five quarters, since a term-low 41.0 per cent in his 11th quarter in office.
That quarter was marked by contentious negotiations to raise the federal debt ceiling, and an ensuing drop in the stock market while unemployment remained high," it said.
Gallup said Obama`s 48 per cent job approval average for his entire fourth year is the lowest, tied with Harry Truman, among recent presidents who were successfully re-elected.
The two recent presidents defeated for a second term -- Jimmy Carter and George H W Bush -- averaged roughly 40 per cent job approval in their fourth year in office. Dwight Eisenhower had the highest fourth-year average, exceeding 70 percent, it said.
Compared with the larger set of all 69 presidential years Gallup has measured since 1949, Obama`s 48.1 per cent fourth-year average is below average.
Obama`s 51.9 per cent 16th-quarter average is almost identical to that of his immediate predecessor, George W Bush (51.6 per cent), it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened