Obama backs gay marriage, collects million dollars
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s re-election team collected a million dollars within the first 90 minutes of announcing his support for gay marriage.
According to New York Daily News, the Obama campaign sent a fundraising e-mail simply entitled ``Marriage`` to supporters after Obama`s campaign.
Donations came in from Obama`s Hollywood friends and gay supporters.
The President is set to attend a Monday Manhattan money party thrown by a gay and Latino group.
The President was set to spend Thursday night with a left-leaning crowd at George Clooney`s Los Angeles home, where a 40,000-dollar-a-plate dinner was expected to net another USD 15 million.
A donation of another USD three million is expected from a pair of Seattle cash bashes on Thursday.
White House insiders admit that pressure from big-money donors, frustrated by Obama`s previous lack of support for same-sex marriage had played a role in the President`s sudden about-face.
Meanwhile, Obama admitted that Vice President Joe Biden`s remarks on same-sex marriage forced him to move his own announcement on gay couples` rights up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet