Obama backs gay marriage, collects million dollars
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s re-election team collected a million dollars within the first 90 minutes of announcing his support for gay marriage.
According to New York Daily News, the Obama campaign sent a fundraising e-mail simply entitled ``Marriage`` to supporters after Obama`s campaign.
Donations came in from Obama`s Hollywood friends and gay supporters.
The President is set to attend a Monday Manhattan money party thrown by a gay and Latino group.
The President was set to spend Thursday night with a left-leaning crowd at George Clooney`s Los Angeles home, where a 40,000-dollar-a-plate dinner was expected to net another USD 15 million.
A donation of another USD three million is expected from a pair of Seattle cash bashes on Thursday.
White House insiders admit that pressure from big-money donors, frustrated by Obama`s previous lack of support for same-sex marriage had played a role in the President`s sudden about-face.
Meanwhile, Obama admitted that Vice President Joe Biden`s remarks on same-sex marriage forced him to move his own announcement on gay couples` rights up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder