Obama buys prison to shift Guantanamo detainees in Illinois
Washington: The Obama Administration today said it is buying a prison in the Illinois State where detainees from the Guantanamo Bay detention center would be
The White House said closing Guantanamo would make the country safer. This is part of the effort of US President Barack Obama to close Guantanamo within a year of his taking
"The announcement today that the President has instructed the Bureau of Prisons to begin the purchase of the Thomson facility in Illinois is a big step in that process of
closing Guantanamo Bay," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters at his daily news conference.
While the White House would not give the number of prisoners who would be shifted to this new facility in Illinois, Senator Richard Durbin put the figure at 100.
The new facility in Illinois would be run by same people who are operating Guantanamo Bay.
"I think if there are concerns for security reasons, I would hope some of those people would address why they think the military can do what they`re doing at Guantanamo and can`t do it at Thomson," Gibbs said.
Referring to the frequent recruiting videos of senior al-Qaeda leaders in which they use Guantanamo Bay as a clarion call to bring extremists from around the world to join their
effort, Gibbs said: "Closing Guantanamo Bay makes this country safer."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!