Obama calls Italian PM on Eurozone crisis
Washington: Continuing his discussions with European leaders on economic developments in the eurozone, US President Barack Obama on Wednesday spoke with Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti, the White House has said.
Their conversation follows recent statements by European officials regarding their commitment to preserve the euro, the White House said, adding that Obama has been in regular contact with European leaders on the state of the European economy, and today he reiterated his support for decisive action to resolve the crisis.
"The President also expressed his concerns about Syria and emphasized the need for close cooperation between the US and our European allies in pressuring the Assad regime and supporting the Syrian people," the White House said.
Obama-Monti telephonic conversation comes a day after the latter said that Europe is starting to see light at the end of the tunnel of the Eurozone’s sovereign debt crisis.
"It is a tunnel but ... Some light is appearing at the end of the tunnel. We and the rest of Europe are approaching the end of the tunnel," Monti said in an interview on Monday.
Monti and French President Francois Hollande yesterday reaffirmed their commitment to the eurozone.
"We repeated that we will do everything so that the euro zone is defended, preserved and consolidated," Hollande said following his meeting with Monti in Paris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video