Obama calls Merkel, discusses NSA surveillance activities
Washington: US President Barack Obama has called up German Chancellor Angela Merkel to discuss the latter`s concerns over the alleged surveillance activities of National Security Agency of the United States.
"The President and the Chancellor discussed the recent reports of surveillance activities allegedly conducted by the US National Security Agency. The President assured the Chancellor that the United States takes seriously the concerns of our European allies and partners," the White House said in a readout of the telephonic conversation between the two leaders on Wednesday.
Obama and Merkel reaffirmed the importance of continued close cooperation between intelligence services of the two nations in the fight against terrorism and other threats to the security of the United States, Germany, and their allies.
"The leaders agreed to hold a high-level meeting of US and German security officials in the coming days to discuss these matters in greater detail," the readout said.
"They also looked forward to the initiation of a US-EU/EU Member State dialogue on the collection and oversight of intelligence and questions of privacy and data protection, as proposed by Attorney General Eric Holder, as early as July 08," the White House said.
The two leaders reiterated their strong support for the launch of Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership negotiations and welcomed the upcoming first round of discussions, the White House said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says