Obama calls Merkel, discusses NSA surveillance activities
Washington: US President Barack Obama has called up German Chancellor Angela Merkel to discuss the latter`s concerns over the alleged surveillance activities of National Security Agency of the United States.
"The President and the Chancellor discussed the recent reports of surveillance activities allegedly conducted by the US National Security Agency. The President assured the Chancellor that the United States takes seriously the concerns of our European allies and partners," the White House said in a readout of the telephonic conversation between the two leaders on Wednesday.
Obama and Merkel reaffirmed the importance of continued close cooperation between intelligence services of the two nations in the fight against terrorism and other threats to the security of the United States, Germany, and their allies.
"The leaders agreed to hold a high-level meeting of US and German security officials in the coming days to discuss these matters in greater detail," the readout said.
"They also looked forward to the initiation of a US-EU/EU Member State dialogue on the collection and oversight of intelligence and questions of privacy and data protection, as proposed by Attorney General Eric Holder, as early as July 08," the White House said.
The two leaders reiterated their strong support for the launch of Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership negotiations and welcomed the upcoming first round of discussions, the White House said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Muttiah Muralitharan, three others to be inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- Rio Games 2016: Olympic pro at 22, Shiva Thapa banks on improved strength at mega event
- India vs West Indies: Confident visitors arrive in Kingston for 2nd Test
- Coal scam: Court awards 3 years jail term to Rathi Steel CEO
- 'India more than capable of achieving 100 Smart City goal'