Obama calls Morsi, expresses concern over Egypt deaths
Washington: US President Barack Obama called his Egyptian counterpart Mohamed Morsi expressing concern over death of protestors and emphasised on ending violence.
"The President emphasised that all political leaders in Egypt should make clear to their supporters that violence is unacceptable," White House said yesterday after the phone call, noting Obama expressed his deep concern about the deaths and injuries of protesters in Egypt.
"He welcomed President Morsi`s call for a dialogue with the opposition but stressed that such a dialogue should occur without preconditions," White House said, adding, Obama noted that the United States has also urged opposition leaders to join in this dialogue without preconditions.
During the phone call, Obama reiterated its continued support for the Egyptian people and their transition to a democracy that respects the rights of all Egyptians.
"The President underscored that it is essential for Egyptian leaders across the political spectrum to put aside their differences and come together to agree on a path that will move Egypt forward," White House said.
Earlier in the day, the United States deplored the violence in Egypt.
"We deplore the violence between rival groups of demonstrators that reportedly killed five people and injured hundreds last night as well as early this morning," the State Department spokesman, Mark Toner, said, calling on all Egyptian political leaders to lead by example in condemning these acts.
"As Egyptians on both sides of these issues continue to express their views, we obviously look to the Government of Egypt to respect the freedoms of peaceful expression and assembly and to exercise restraint," he said.
Referring to a statement made by the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, a day earlier, Toner said that this kind of upheaval being seen in Egypt indicates that dialogue is urgently needed.
"We need to see that dialogue in place.
It`s obvious that Egyptians have strong opinions regarding recent actions as well as the substance of the draft constitution, and we obviously need to see a dialogue in place as soon as possible to address their concerns," he said.
US is maintaining regular dialogue both with the Egyptian Government as well as all of the political leaders at all levels from across the political spectrum, Toner added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe