Obama calls Netanyahu to discuss counter-terrorism, Mideast
Washington: US President Barack Obama
called up Israeli Premier Benjamin Netanyahu during which the two leaders discussed the Middle East peace process and
counter-terrorism co-operation between the two countries.
"The two leaders also discussed US-Israeli cooperation
on counter-terrorism, how best to move forward in efforts to
advance Middle East peace, and the recent violence near the
Gaza strip," the White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told
reporters yesterday after the telephonic conversation between
the two leaders.
"The President called Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu
today to convey his best wishes before the start of Passover.
Noting that he would host a seder at the White House, the
President recalled that the story of Passover is one of
liberation and freedom, and expressed his hope that the
Israeli people would be able to celebrate in peace," he said.
Carney said that Netanyahu expressed his deep
appreciation for US funding for the Iron Dome rocket and
mortar defence system, which he noted has successfully
intercepted several rockets aimed at Israeli communities.
Obama congratulated Netanyahu on this impressive
Israeli technological achievement and expressed his pride that
Israeli-American cooperation made it possible, the White House
With the signing of the fiscal year 2011 budget
appropriation, Obama approved USD 205 million in US funding
for Iron Dome, which is above the annual package of Foreign
Military Financing for Israel, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read