Obama calls Philippines President, conveys condolences
Washington: US President Barack Obama today called his Pilipino counterpart President Benigno Aquino to express his condolences for the devastation caused by Super typhoon Haiyan, one of the largest and strongest storms to ever hit land.
"This morning President Obama spoke with President Aquino of the Philippines to express our deep condolences for the lives lost and damage caused by Super typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda, one of the largest, strongest storms to ever hit land," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.
Over the weekend, he said, Obama directed the administration to mount a swift and coordinated response to save lives and provide assistance to alleviate suffering.
USAID and the Department of Defence are providing significant assistance to the people of the Philippines, he said, adding that even before the storm reached land, USAID had deployed a disaster assistance response team to the area.
"After landfall, US Marines were some of the first to help deliver supplies for the relief effort. American aircraft are delivering vital assistance and equipment. The United States is also providing food aid to feed tens of thousands of people in the coming days," he said.
"Additionally, the aircraft carrier USS George Washington and several escort ships are on their way to the Philippines. On arrival, they will help expand search-and- rescue operations, provide medical care and serve as platforms for a base of helicopters working to deliver supplies.
"Our State Department and USAID team on the ground is coordinating with local officials and other organisations, and in the days ahead, the United States will continue to work with the Philippines to deliver -- deliver, rather, whatever help we can as quickly as possible," Carney said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?