Obama calls world leaders
Washington: US President Barack Obama Wednesday called half-a-dozen world leaders, including his Afghan and Russian counterparts, and expressed his desire to continue close cooperation with them, the White House said.
Obama spoke with President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan, Prime Minister Mario Monti of Italy, King Abdullah II of Jordan, Amir Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani of Qatar, President Vladimir Putin of Russia and President Mariano Rajoy of Spain.
"The President was able to continue returning messages of congratulations from his counterparts around the world. In each call, he thanked his counterpart for their friendship and partnership thus far, and expressed his desire to continue close cooperation moving ahead," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.
Last week, Obama spoke with about a dozen world leaders including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
US Vice President Joe Biden also spoke with the Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki, who congratulated the Vice President and Obama on their re-election.
"The two leaders agreed that the coming years presented an opportunity for both nations to enhance our strategic partnership across a range of issues of mutual concern and pledged to continue the close consultations conducted in recent months by a series of senior US visitors to Baghdad," the White House said.
Biden spoke to Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych and thanked him for his congratulatory message following last week`s US election.
Noting the strong interest of the US in enhancing its relationship with Ukraine, Biden voiced concerns over Ukraine`s recent parliamentary elections and asked President Yanukovych to ensure the process is completed in a fair and transparent manner, the White House said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference