Obama calls world leaders
Washington: US President Barack Obama Wednesday called half-a-dozen world leaders, including his Afghan and Russian counterparts, and expressed his desire to continue close cooperation with them, the White House said.
Obama spoke with President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan, Prime Minister Mario Monti of Italy, King Abdullah II of Jordan, Amir Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani of Qatar, President Vladimir Putin of Russia and President Mariano Rajoy of Spain.
"The President was able to continue returning messages of congratulations from his counterparts around the world. In each call, he thanked his counterpart for their friendship and partnership thus far, and expressed his desire to continue close cooperation moving ahead," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.
Last week, Obama spoke with about a dozen world leaders including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
US Vice President Joe Biden also spoke with the Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki, who congratulated the Vice President and Obama on their re-election.
"The two leaders agreed that the coming years presented an opportunity for both nations to enhance our strategic partnership across a range of issues of mutual concern and pledged to continue the close consultations conducted in recent months by a series of senior US visitors to Baghdad," the White House said.
Biden spoke to Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych and thanked him for his congratulatory message following last week`s US election.
Noting the strong interest of the US in enhancing its relationship with Ukraine, Biden voiced concerns over Ukraine`s recent parliamentary elections and asked President Yanukovych to ensure the process is completed in a fair and transparent manner, the White House said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends