Obama camp blasts Romney’s ‘clumsy’ foreign policy speech
Washington: President Barack Obama’s camp blasted Republican rival Mitt Romney’s foreign policy speech, saying it was full of ‘heated rhetoric’ and ‘chest-thumping,’ but with few specifics.
“This is Mitt Romney’s seventh attempt, by our count, to reboot his foreign policy,” campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.
“When you’re commander in chief, you don’t get to bring an ‘Etch a Sketch’ into the Oval Office. You don’t get second chances, never mind seven chances,” Psaki said.
“And as the American people are looking at what he had to say today, but also his record from the last few months, the areas that should be of concern are: This is somebody who leads with chest-pounding rhetoric, he`s inexperienced, he’s been clumsy in his handling of foreign policy, and most of all, all of these factors lead to a risk that we`re going to go back to the same policies that lead us to some of the challenges we faced in the last few years,” she added.
According to Politico, Psaki said that Romney ‘doubled down’ on comments he made in the infamous 47 percent fundraising video.
She attacked Romney for suggesting that he did not want to end the war in Iraq and wanted to leave tens of thousands of troops there.
“The president disagrees with him on that," she said.
She also said Romney was completely wrong when he indicated that Obama had not signed free trade agreements, the report said.
"That is not only absurd, it’s inaccurate," Psaki said, adding that Obama renegotiated trade agreements and made them better for American workers in the auto and meat industries.
According to the report, she also said it’s ‘striking’ that Romney didn``t speak a lot about about China, adding that Romney needs to be more clear about what the differences are between his approach and the president``s in places like Syria.
"He said that the president and his team are not doing enough when it comes to Syria, when it comes to Libya and several events in the Middle East," she said.
"What exactly are they suggesting we do? What exactly is their plan and their proposal? So if they``re going further, they should say that," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?
- Storms, lightning and heavy rains in Uttar Pradesh; at least 12 dead
- Shah Rukh Khan's 'Kal Ho Naa Ho' memories strike back!