Obama, China`s Xi pledge cooperation and joke about first lady
The Hague: US President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping pledged cooperation between their countries and chatted about first lady Michelle Obama`s recent trip to Beijing when they met prior to a nuclear summit on Monday.
In remarks to reporters ahead of their meeting, Obama said he and Xi would discuss the situation in Ukraine, denuclearization of North Korea, and fighting climate change. Obama said the bilateral relationship between the two countries was as important as any in the world.
Through various meetings and forums, Obama said, "We`re also able to work through frictions that exist in our relations around issues like human rights, dealing with maritime issues in the South China Sea and the Pacific region in a way that is constructive and hopefully will lead to resolutions and … solutions for all parties."
Xi made a point of thanking Obama for US help in searching for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight which had a large number of Chinese passengers. He said the two countries should address common challenges in a spirit of mutual cooperation.
"China is firmly committed to ... building a new model of major country relations," he said, according to a translator. "We are committed to our position of no confrontation... mutual respect, and win-win cooperation with regard to the United States."
Obama also thanked Xi for hosting his wife and daughters, who are touring China. "She also played some table tennis, although I think this was not the high level ping pong diplomacy that we saw in the past," Obama joked about his wife.
Xi said he had a message for Obama from the US first lady.
"She asked me to formally convey to you her best regards," he said to laughter in the room.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan