Obama, Clinton express condolences on Aquino’s demise
Washington, Aug 01: Condoling the demise of former
Philippine`s President Corazon Aquino, US President Barack
Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have hailed her
as an iconic figure who fought authoritarian rule to restore
democracy in her country.
"Ms Aquino played a crucial role in Philippines
history, moving the country to democratic rule through her
non-violent "People Power" movement over twenty years ago,"
Obama said in a statement.
"Her courage, determination, and moral leadership are
an inspiration to us all and exemplify the best in the
Filipino nation," Obama said.
In a statement, Clinton said Aquino was beloved by her
nation and admired by the world for her extraordinary courage
after the assassination of her husband, and later, during her
service as President.
"She helped bring democracy back to the Philippines
after many years of authoritarian rule with a faith in her
country and its people that never wavered," she said.
"Like millions of people worldwide, Bill and I were
inspired by her quiet strength and her unshakable commitment
to justice and freedom," Clinton said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler