Obama condoles Ethiopian PM`s death
Washington: US President Barack Obama Tuesday offered his condolences to Ethiopia over the death of the country`s Prime Minister, Meles Zenawi, and hailed his contribution to the east African country.
The 57-year-old Ethiopian leader died Monday night following a sudden infection while recovering in a hospital abroad, Ethiopian state TV reported Tuesday. He had not appeared in public in the last two months because of an unspecified illness.
"It was with sadness that I learned of the passing of prime minister Meles Zenawi of Ethiopia," Xinhua quoted Obama as saying in a statement released by the White House.
"Prime Minister Meles deserves recognition for his lifelong contribution to Ethiopia`s development, particularly his unyielding commitment to Ethiopia`s poor."
Offering his condolences, Obama reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to the partnership with Ethiopia.
Zenawi was the president of Ethiopia`s transitional government from 1991 to 1995, after which he was elected as the country`s prime minister and he remained at the post ever since.
According to Ethiopian state TV, Deputy Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn will now be acting Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan